Over time, our views have expanded about what a ‘product’ actually means. At some point in time, a product was merely hardware or software. Eventually, networks and services too found themselves in this sphere. The Design Thinking Approach has changed the way companies plan their Product Development or Product itself for that matter.
The product development process has evolved its way through many benchmarks. Looking at the current scenario, the corporate world might have to reimagine a new product development process pretty soon. Is Design Thinking Equipped enough to help save the once day again?
Need for the Development process to change
The shift from analog to digital is pretty obvious. A certain amount of Data aggregation and analysis for internal and external improvement has become an important process in most of the organizations. However, this is the bare minimum that digital platforms and technologies can help the businesses achieve.
Moreover, current development processes employed by most of the companies, have to go through a certain level of corporate governance speed-breakers. Maintaining a balance between client interests and internal contentment is a tricky task for any administration. The market demands are getting more and more abstract with each passing day. The companies need to re-engineer their product development process so that they can:
- Attain a competitive advantage in the market
- Develop products to solve complicated problems, in a hybrid vendor environment
- Deliver a final product that isn’t severely compromised by internal corporate politics
Approaching with the Design Thinking Process
The problem at hand is two-fold. We need a smooth development process that can work towards the goals of the project while also working its way around the complicated corporate environment. It is problems like these that call for Design Thinking to act upon them. Here’s how the DT can help in this regards:
- Human-Centered Approach: DT is guided by empathy. This helps the employing organization to understand the factors like:
- Needs of the internal team
- Benefits and Limitations of the possible Technologies
- Client Requirements
- Market Demands
It only makes sense to use this approach and curate a process that takes all these factors into account.
- Solution Centric Development: DT keeps reminding the teams that they are first and foremost working on a solution. Any additional feature that the product offers, will not make sense if the actual problem is not solved.
- Innovation in Modern Times: Modern-day challenges are not just functional. They cannot be measured by a product with mere standard features. The product needs to be customized for the user needs. DT will help with innovative deviations from the typical development process to make the product more capable of dealing with the problem at hand.
- Active Knowledge Sharing: Approaches like Domain Driven Design have allowed the products and services to be engineered by specific experts. Design Thinking will help in sharing the knowledge base of these experts so that even the future products can be developed with required proficiency. This will help the developers. Designers and other team members evolve in terms of knowledge as well as practice
The entire world is about to enter a cutthroat competition for productivity. One so severe that it was possibly never witnessed before. Organizations need a new product development process to produce more and produce better. Experts in Design Thinking Approach are required now more than ever. It is only this empathetic approach that can lead the corporate world towards the fulfillment of its goals while also stabilizing the economy. Let us not be fooled and get our hands on the Design Thinking Process effective immediately. Change is inevitable; one must, however, know what needs to be changed.