- The majority of people (87%) have not heard of the term ‘Internet of Things’.
- ATMs are considered some of the first IoT objects, and went online as far back as 1974.
- Back in 2008, there were already more objects connected to the Internet than people.
- This year, we will have 4.9 billion connected things.
- And some predict that by 2020, the number of Internet-connected things will reach or even exceed 50 billion.
- In 2015, over 1.4 billion smart phones will be shipped and by 2020 we will have a staggering 6.1 billion smartphone users.
- The IoT will connect many of the devices we have in our homes, from smart thermostats to smart fridges. Companies like Google GOOGL -1.25% and Samsung understand this. Google bought smart thermostat maker, Nest Labs, for $3.2 billion, and Samsung purchased connected home company SmartThings for $200 million.
Read the whole article here.