The fifth edition of the NASSCOM-Zinnov report titled “Indian Start-up Ecosystem 2018: Approaching Escape Velocity” is a compilation of facts, trends, and insights on the Indian Tech Start-up landscape. The report examines the evolution of the ecosystem, its growth drivers, and highlights the role played by investors, incubators/ accelerators, and the Government.
- 7200-7700 Start-ups incepted during 2013-18; overall base growing at 12-15%
- 1200+ Start-ups added in 2018
- 8 Start-ups become Unicorns in 2018; highest addition in a single calendar year ever!!!
Funding and M&A Trends
- USD 4.3 Bn funding received by Start-ups in 2018 (Jan-Sep); more than 100% YoY growth
- USD 9.4 Mn average funding per deal (144% increase over 2017); Seed stage funding further down by 21%
- 70+ M&As; 15% increase from 2017
Start-up Ecosystem Enablers
- 210+ active Accelerators/Incubators; 11% increase compared to 2017
- 35+ Corporate Incubators/Accelerators incepted in the last 3 years
- 14+ active International Start-up Exchange missions
- Enterprise Software, FinTech, and HealthTech leading verticals; comprise 50% of total Start-ups
- Advanced Tech Start-ups grew over 50% in last year alone