What did you do to prevent your site from Crashing this holiday season? – The science of improving website conversion
Imagine about that customer who is navigating a mobile/web app and everything is just running slow. Nothing happens with the click of a button and the spinning wheel continues to spin for a very long time.
More than anything, response time plays a crucial role in customer experience.
49% of the e-commerce customers expect pages to load in 2 seconds or less.
Better Customer Experience = Better Business
Below is the Cheat Sheet of Performance Testing Which Can Prevent Your site from Crashing This Holiday Season
E-Commerce websites have different flavors based on the season. Why not to impress the customers with excellent product variety and the convenience of shopping line being made available. For every Amazon and BestBuy reminisced, there are many forgotten ones. This is because websites regularly do not take extra measures to test well before the planned period of sale and assure the customers a unified online shopping experience. E-commerce services, apart from product details and shipping details, consist of closely interlinked functionalities that connect to a wide range of customers. A website crash is the worst nightmare of every E-commerce website during festival season or offers. These crashes are even more horrible at the time of transaction, purchase customization or during a payment gateway.
Effective ways of testing can prevent your E-commerce websites from crashing this holiday season. (testing checklist)
- Cloud Testing– Cloud testing is one of the most crucial factors which should be considered when looking to avoid website crashes, particularly during sales or holiday season. Any hardware upgrades or support is not required for cloud testing. While demonstrating multiple simultaneous connections, cloud testing services are available at every required level, and at the required timing. Cloud testing can be of sufficient help while displaying denial-of-service attacks and website traffic. Cloud testing is a key part of website testing. It influences the IT investment, is simple, and handy. There is an assured amount of flexibility that is guaranteed with cloud testing, where real-time analytics are used and visual test environments are created.
- Load Balancing – Availability of the website, and the loading speed with which the website can be accessed are two very important objectives that must be eventually achieved. This is to keep the performance of the website in check. Application delivery controllers or server load balancers can be used to increase capacity and reliability of web/mobile applications. Testing is done by running load test cases/scripts to check the load-balancing. This tests the performance of the application under a specific or varying load. Load balancers are typically hardware and software-based. Load balancing can be done either manually or automatically with the help of software.
- Auto-Scaling – In sync, with the load-balancing notion, auto-scaling in cloud computing is a technique of controlling the number of servers that are in use according to the load generated. Scaling up is done in order to deal with more website traffic during season sale while scaling down allows the use of fewer servers as there is a certain stillness in the website traffic. Testing of such scenarios proves to be inspiring and must be carried out very carefully through the use of multiple virtual IP addresses. Load balancing has a direct impact on auto-scaling, and they are often used together, but can also be used in different circumstances.
- Secure Payments – The importance of safeguarding the payment gateways to perform any transactions seamlessly cannot be stressed too much. E-commerce businesses have the responsibility to ensure the security of all the pages which ask for customer details and other sensitive information. Investments must be made to enable payments to be conducted through secure servers that are SSL encrypted. Naturally, testing payment gateways is a little bit challenging, mainly owning to the precision involved in the functionality. The most indispensable types of testing for payment gateway system are functional testing and integration testing, along with security testing.
- Fault Tolerance – In this concept, discharged components, both hardware, and software take over when the usual components fail to run. In case one web server goes down, another web server can take up the requests. Fault tolerance is basically the ability of the system to plough on, despite faults in the system. It is critical for firms while they endeavor to provide quality online shopping services in the midst of abnormal situations. This particular ability of software testing is raising stiff competition among software testing services providers. This is because assessing faults and coming up with techniques to deal with these faults requires quite an in-depth understanding of the web/mobile application and some expert analysis. Hence, this is often a job for highly skilled resources.
- Prevention of DDoS attack – Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) refers to the inability to access a website or slow network performance. DDoS attacks are performed by an individual or a group of individuals by continuously interrupting the flow of services of a website. These attacks ultimately result in huge losses for the website. Testing is essential in order to ensure that these attacks do not interrupt the services being provided by the host website. The underhanded motive of a DDoS attack is obtaining sensitive data from the host website. This could result in customers unable to logging in. Therefore, testing for DDoS mitigation is very crucial to ensure that certain vulnerable points in the systems and servers are addressed in advanced.
- Functionality Testing – This is an important measure, as the functionality of the website is what the users have to deal with in the first-place. If the website is too messy with images, or has irrelevant information, or is unclear terms and conditions or return policy, it would greatly affect the sales from that website. Promotions and site navigation are very important, as they directly generate revenue. Testing of all these functional aspects is extremely essential for the website, to provide a seamless shopping experience to the possible extent, for all of its customers.
That’s pretty much about improving website performance. Hope you have a great sale this holiday season.