Notification
New

No notification found.

Blog
Building the Next

February 20, 2019

A blog by Jeff Immelt,
Executive Chairman, Athenahealth

It will be a pleasure to speak at NASSCOM.  I have a 25-year perspective on the industry.  We were around at the birth of many of these great companies:  Wipro, TCS, and, of course, Genpact.  I have known the founder … worked with the teams and realized the benefits.  It is fantastic … what you all have done.

Early on, we found IT services by accident.  In the 90s, our bets on the “markets” in India were met with limited success.  However, our bets on the “people” in India were always successful.  This was true in IT services…we improved cost and quality. But it was also true in areas like our huge research center in Bangalore, the biggest in the world.

But that is in the past.  Today, we are in the vortex of technical change, the largest I have seen. New technologies – like AI – are reframing the way we work. Legacy companies are struggling with digital transformation and consequences. I don’t mean just the buzz words, but the opportunity and risk that new technologies and business models bring. This is being played out against a backdrop of geopolitical change.  The “open door” of global sharing in ideas and people is closing.  This is happening around the world.  But work still must get done … opportunity still abounds.

Digital transformation is today’s biggest opportunity and risk. At its essence, it requires an understanding that data is a competitive advantage. It requires a willingness to break through the forces of inertia in your organization. And…it must deliver hard outcomes, not soft comfort.

New leaders are emerging to conquer these challenges.  These are people that “see the systems.”  They know how to deliver outcomes with new technology.  They know how to execute by liberating their workforce.  And, they know how to “absorb fear.”  They can act in the sea of uncertainty. They understand the importance of localization in a global context.

I hope to discuss all this with my old friend, Pramod Bhasin.  He and I have known each other for more than 20 years.  In 2003, we decided to spin out Genpact instead of running it as a business.  I felt we would slow them down; and I had great respect for Pramod and Tiger.  They have done a great job.

This is an important time for the IT industry. See you in Mumbai.

That the contents of third-party articles/blogs published here on the website, and the interpretation of all information in the article/blogs such as data, maps, numbers, opinions etc. displayed in the article/blogs and views or the opinions expressed within the content are solely of the author's; and do not reflect the opinions and beliefs of NASSCOM or its affiliates in any manner. NASSCOM does not take any liability w.r.t. content in any manner and will not be liable in any manner whatsoever for any kind of liability arising out of any act, error or omission. The contents of third-party article/blogs published, are provided solely as convenience; and the presence of these articles/blogs should not, under any circumstances, be considered as an endorsement of the contents by NASSCOM in any manner; and if you chose to access these articles/blogs , you do so at your own risk.

communityadmin

© Copyright nasscom. All Rights Reserved.