Topics In Demand
Notification
New

No notification found.

Blog
Fantastic insights on Drones and the future

November 14, 2019

Listen to this article

In the Nasscom Product Conclave at Bengaluru 2019,  there was a panel discussion on drones and their future.

This had piqued my curiosity. Having been continuously plagued by the obnoxious “t” word in Bengaluru, I was wondering what relief, if any, could drones bring in the future. As a hard core Bengalurian, I make it a point to not mention the “t” word in its entirety as it is a rule among some of us not to talk about it ?

I was wondering, if one day, we would have a similar situation in the skies above Bengaluru. Today, at lunchtime, in most tech parks in Bengaluru, you would see a huge gang of employees geared up and collecting deliveries from online portals. At breakfast time, even on weekends, with most idli/dosa vendors, you would see a queue of not customers but Swiggy and other delivery companies lined up.

Now, imagine the situation when these deliveries take to the skies, with the help of drones!

The most berated topic around this is privacy and security. The ones for such technology say that security is always a source of concern and we should not slow down technological advancements for want of security and privacy. The counter argument to this was, with technological advancements, breaching security and privacy becomes a lot more easier than before.

With specific reference to drones, it is possible to block them, detect them, etc. But a lot of these limitations depend on the drones adhering to certain standards and specifications. While this could work for professional enterprises who would themselves be motivated to comply, when it comes to, say, for example, a techie fellow close to India Pakistan border, on the other side of India’s border, who is assembling a drone himself, which has a reach of over 200 kms across the border, I wonder which standards would he adhere to.

Nevertheless, this session was very useful and though we are far from the situations on the roads of Bengaluru replicating in the skies anytime soon, and even though we are also far away from seeing drones transporting people in large volumes, this definitely is an area to ponder about and watch out for

That the contents of third-party articles/blogs published here on the website, and the interpretation of all information in the article/blogs such as data, maps, numbers, opinions etc. displayed in the article/blogs and views or the opinions expressed within the content are solely of the author's; and do not reflect the opinions and beliefs of NASSCOM or its affiliates in any manner. NASSCOM does not take any liability w.r.t. content in any manner and will not be liable in any manner whatsoever for any kind of liability arising out of any act, error or omission. The contents of third-party article/blogs published, are provided solely as convenience; and the presence of these articles/blogs should not, under any circumstances, be considered as an endorsement of the contents by NASSCOM in any manner; and if you chose to access these articles/blogs , you do so at your own risk.

venkatm7

© Copyright nasscom. All Rights Reserved.